French teachers strike over ‘disruptive’ COVID policies – Live | Coronavirus News

0
2
  French teachers strike over 'disruptive' COVID policies - Live |  Coronavirus News

Global COVID-19 cases reached a record high last week, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO), with 15 million people testing positive for the coronavirus in the seven days to January 9.

While the highly infectious strain causes less severe disease than the Delta variant, Tedros says the Omicron remains a “dangerous virus”, particularly for those who are not vaccinated.

Here are the latest updates:

The WHO chief’s comments came as Dutch Foreign Minister Wopke Hokestra announced he had tested positive for COVID-19 and teachers in France launched a strike over the government’s “chaotic” virus strategy for schools.

Story Highlights

  • WHO says 15 million people tested positive for COVID-19 last week, by far the most cases reported in a seven-day period.

  • The figure marks a 55 percent increase from the previous seven days, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday, adding that the “huge spike” was being driven by the Omicron variant.

19 mins ago (03:17 GMT)

WHO to discuss extending global health emergency

With the help of an independent committee of experts, the WHO will consider later today whether to extend a global public health emergency it declared over the coronavirus. The current “public health emergency of international concern” has been in place for nearly two years now.

Whether the committee recommends declaring the coronavirus emergency over or not, there would be few practical consequences. However, many experts are concerned that ending it could send the wrong signal as cases surge across the globe.

37 mins ago (02:58 GMT) Australia Open crowds capped at 50 percent

Spectators will be required to socially distance while indoors, she added. 55 mins ago (02:40 GMT)

Jaala Pulford, Victoria State tourism minister, said in a statement that face masks will also be mandatory at the opening Grand Slam of the year, which starts on Monday. Authorities say crowds at the Australian Open will be capped at 50 percent capacity as COVID-19 cases and hospital admissions continue to rise in Melbourne.