It’s going up from ash fire of June, Portland repair business opens Freeport store

0
7
It's going up from ash fire of June, Portland repair business opens Freeport store

Total loss

The company provides kitchen, bath, flooring and home remodeling goods and services. 

Goltz has two employees and a slate of subcontractors. Her employees primarily run the showroom while she handles general contracting, including design and procurement of materials and products. Residential and commercial projects have taken place in southern Maine from Old Orchard Beach to Freeport.

“I never advertised,” Goltz told Mainebiz. “It’s always been word-of-mouth. I have a lot of repeat clients and a lot of referrals through them.”

Story Highlights

  • “We are thrilled to announce our Freeport location is now open,” founder and owner Carey Goltz announced on the company’s Facebook page, adding that the new space is still “a work in progress.”

  • Goltz started the company in 2007. In 2014, she started leasing space in a 26,000-square-foot warehouse complex at 160 Presumpscot St. in Portland.

COURTESY / DESIGN CONCEPTS

Design Concepts founder Carey Goltz is seen with a customer in her Portland showroom in 2019.

Goltz and her crew typically have a couple of renovations in various stages each month. Due to supply chain disruptions over the past year, she downsized to focus more on design, consulting and sales in conjunction with other contractors.  Pulling together

On June 11, a blaze destroyed her space and inventory.  “I lost everything I’d accumulated since 2007,” she said.

The fire also damaged other small businesses as well — including medical products distributor TwinMed LLC  and boat-covers supplier Canvas Tek, which were leasing space in the warehouse and office complex. COURTESY / DESIGN CONCEPTS

“I knew I had to relocate,” she said. “We burnt down at 2 a.m. on a Friday and, by Monday morning at 10 a.m. I was reopened.” Goltz used the space to reopen a division of her company, Maine Floor Supply.

Goltz was aware that a sub-lease was available next-door at 142 Presumspcot St.  The same view of the showroom is seen here after the fire.